Cristo Rey San Diego
POSITION TITLE: PRESIDENT
Do you have the vision, skills and entrepreneurial drive to lead a new school that follows a proven model for success? Would you like your legacy to be one that helps children move out of poverty through education and work? Are you Catholic?
The Founding President of Cristo Rey San Diego High School will have the opportunity to be a game changer, really a life changer, for hundreds of children growing up in poverty in San Diego. The President will lead the planning and development needed to open the school in August 2020, and then will lead the school to full enrollment of 500+ students in grades 9 – 12.
Cristo Rey San Diego will be one of more than 35 schools that comprise the Cristo Rey Network. The President will be the Chief Executive Officer, serving as the leader and outward face of the school. A school principal will be responsible for academic leadership.
The President will hire and lead the school’s management team and will work with a Board of engaged community leaders to gain individual and corporate support for the school. He or she will be the outward face of the school and have ultimate responsibility for all school operations. As Chief Executive Officer, the President leads Cristo Rey San Diego High School to achieve its mission as a member of the national Cristo Rey Network.
The President (as CEO of the school) is hired by and accountable to the Cristo Rey San Diego High School Board of Directors. The President has overall responsibility for the management of Cristo Rey San Diego High School. The President will lead the school in development, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of an exceptional program that supports and promotes the school’s mission and values with special emphasis on the religious and spiritual orientation of the school.
The President will be the school’s visionary leader and principal institutional spokesperson to all of the school’s constituents. The President leads and directs the school’s administrative team to accomplish stated goals to achieve the mission. The President’s primary responsibilities include:
- Represents the school internally and externally, communicating the mission and programs of Cristo Rey San Diego High School to the school’s various publics, including working with parent groups and representing the school at civic, religious and other public functions.
- Provides spiritual leadership to permeate students, faculty and staff with the fundamental Catholic values and beliefs of Cristo Rey San Diego High School’s mission.
- Communicates the mission and goals of Cristo Rey San Diego High School clearly and enthusiastically.
- Works closely with the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors; communicates clearly and timely on matters impacting the school; is a member of all standing committees and participates in their meetings; and provides assistance in setting various agendas.
- The President is responsible for collaborating effectively with the Board Chair and other members of Board leadership to ensure that the Board of Directors is properly supported by the school administration and is comprised of members who can help the school achieve its mission.
- Pursuant to the Board-‐approved budget, provide final approval for financial affairs, including the management and use of scholarship and endowment funds, tuition and fee schedules, debt service and bank negotiations. Pursuant to the school bylaws and directives of the Board of Directors, approve expenditures beyond those already provided for in the approved budget.
- Ensures that appropriate accounting systems and internal controls are in place and maintained and provides regular financial reports to the Directors of all funds and assets of the Corporation and all income and expenditures pertaining to its operations.
- Pursuant to the annual operating budget approved by the school’s Board of Directors, determine the school’s organizational structure and give final approval of the faculty/ staff salary scales, stipends and benefit packages.
- Provides support and leadership in the ongoing efforts to secure and retain corporate job sponsors, which is vital to the financial success of the school’s mission.
- Serve as the school’s liaison and follows the 10 Cristo Rey Network Mission Effectiveness Standards and Mission Statement.
- Serve as the school’s chief fundraiser. Approve all fundraising and advancement projects and events, including annual and special fundraising campaigns, all public relations and marketing.
- Ensures that the right people are hired and retained for the right positions and supports them in their growth and professional development.
- Delegates responsibility and authority appropriately to others and holds them accountable for achieving results
First and foremost, the President must be committed to education reform – particularly for traditionally underserved students – and have passion for the distinct mission, values, academic standards, and Catholic identity of the Cristo Rey Network so that s/he can inspire people to support this unique education model.
Successful candidates must be Catholic (this is a non-negotiable requirement). They will possess:
- Awareness of and commitment to the Catholic traditions of education, service and social justice, the credibility to lead and represent a Catholic organization with integrity, and facility for working well with diverse Catholic church leaders, lay and clerical.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders, build creative and mutually beneficial relationships within the philanthropic, corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors.
- Proven fundraising and/or revenue generating success, preferably in the non-‐profit sector and with foundations.
- Significant visionary leadership and management experience, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs but driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all stakeholders.
- The executive presence to inspire organizational and professional confidence, passion and persistence in an ambitious, fast-paced, and results-oriented period of growth, all while maintaining a positive work environment.
- The maturity and wisdom required to optimize Board members’ engagement in the mission.
- Strategic planning experience and execution capabilities.
- Strong budget management skills.
- Preferably, previous experience in the education sector and/or the sensibilities and perspective necessary to validate her/his leadership in a school.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills, including evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability.
- Unquestionable integrity.
- A Bachelor’s degree and, preferably, a graduate degree.
Competitive salary offered
History of the Cristo Rey Network:
When Cristo Rey Jesuit High School opened under the leadership of John P. Foley, S.J. in 1996, it introduced a highly innovative integration of academic and professional experience to Catholic secondary education in the United States. The model had immediate appeal, first to Catholic educators across the country and soon after to prominent philanthropists committed to educational reform.
Through the talent and commitment of local communities and generous and enthusiastic support from philanthropic investors, the Cristo Rey Network has grown over the last 20 years from a single school in south Chicago to a national network of 32 schools. During a period when traditional Catholic schools were shuttering their doors at an alarming rate, the Cristo Rey Network has grown into the largest network of high schools in the country that exclusively serves low-income students.
Cristo Rey Network Mission Statement:
The Cristo Rey Network® empowers thousands of students from underserved, low-income communities to develop their minds and hearts to become lifelong contributors to society. By providing students an extraordinary college preparatory education and a unique four- year, integrated corporate work study experience, we seek to transform urban America one student at a time.
As a member of the Cristo Rey Network, a Cristo Rey school:
- Is explicitly Catholic in mission and enjoys Church approval.
- Serves only students with limited economic resources and is open to students of various faiths and cultures.
- Is family centered and plays an active role in the local community.
- Prepare all students to enter and graduate from college.
- Requires participation by all students in the Corporate Work Study Program.
- Integrates the learning present in its work program, classroom and extracurricular experiences for the fullest benefit of its students.
- Has effective administrative and board structures, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws.
- Is financially sound.
- Supports its graduates’ efforts to obtain a college degree and enter post-college life as productive, faith-filled individuals.
- Is an active participant in the Cristo Rey Network.
If you have the requested background and a passion for the mission of this school, we invite you to apply. Please e-mail your resumé and cover letter to Maria Moodie, email@example.com. In addition, include a statement of your educational beliefs and your vision for Cristo Rey San Diego High School.
Please also note that responses from Indeed.com will not be accepted. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Deadline to apply: September 1, 2018.