POSITION TITLE: Associate Director of the Office for Evangelization and Catechetical Ministry
REPORTS TO: Chancellor/Director for Evangelization and Catechetical Ministry
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
HOURS: Full time
JOB SUMMARY: Assists the OECM Director and team in developing, coordinating and providing catechetical and
evangelization resources in the Diocese of San Diego. Leads and organizes courses, workshops and conferences to support parishes as well as Catechists and Master Catechists in their formation and renewal of certification. Evaluates and develops programs for evangelization and catechetical formation. Assists parish leadership in lifelong faith formation focusing on, but not limited to: pre K–8th grade, Special Needs, Sacramental Preparation, RCIA, Adult Faith Formation, Small Christian Communities, and Whole Family Catechesis. Creatively implementing the New Evangelization and spiritual renewal in a diverse and multicultural context.
THE ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Providing initial and ongoing formation for catechists and Catholic school religion teachers through Basic
- Catechist Formation Courses, workshops, in-service’s and retreats;
- Assists in Hispanic and multicultural ministry outreach;
- Providing initial and ongoing formation for Master Catechists through Master Catechist Formation Courses, workshops, in-service’s and retreats;
- Provide guidance, support and in-services to parish leadership, DCM’s, coordinators;
- Assistance in the expansion of social media communication efforts;
- Organize workshops and formation courses for evangelization and catechetical ministry;
- Assists in the evaluation and updating of all specialization courses;
- Assists in the planning and organization of the Diocesan Rite of Election;
- Serve as a resource to parishes through deanery meetings and parish visits;
- Collaborating in the calendaring of department events;
- Perform other administrative duties as required;
- Familiar with parish and diocesan structure;
- Assists in gathering annual parish statistical information;
- Remain informed on current developments and trends relating to the pastoral life of the Church;
- Attends pastoral and commission meetings; and collaborates with other offices;
- Associate will assist in leading and/or teaching coursework offered by the department;
- Associate will be expected to represent the diocesan office at regional and national gatherings;
- Weekend and evening event coverage is required;
- Job entails fair amount of travel around diocese.
A Master’s degree in Catechetical Ministry, Religious Education, Theology, Pastoral Ministry or equivalent. At least 3-5 years’ experience in diocesan catechetical ministry or adult faith formation ministry; or 5-10 years’ experience in a parish catechetical leadership position. An understanding of the sensitivity of diverse cultures and their religious background; bilingual and biliterate (English & Spanish). Candidate must be a practicing Roman Catholic faithful to Catholic teaching with an understanding of pastoral ministry.
Candidate must have the capability to work well with others. Ability to take direction and exercise independence in judgement in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the position. Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing in English and Spanish; skill in teaching, planning and organization; ability to design and develop training programs and course materials; skill in human and public relations, listening and communication; familiarity with digital technology.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your resume please reference "Associate Director - OECM". In the body of your email, in Spanish please describe your level of education and your experience with teaching.