In need of support after Separation or Divorce?
Separation or divorce is never part of the plan. Even when necessary, separation or divorce carries complicated emotions and is often accompanied by immense grief and pain. Please know that you are not alone. The Diocese of San Diego offers support, encouragement, and resources as you pass through this difficult transition to a new life with hope and healing.
Support Groups (English or Spanish)
Support groups are offered at various parishes in the Diocese of San Diego. The purpose of these groups is to provide pastoral care to separated/divorced Catholics (and non-Catholics) by helping them to grieve their loss in a healthy way and move forward with hope. The meetings are usually held weekly for a period of 10 – 13 weeks.
Current programs being used in the parishes include:
- Recovering From Divorce (a ministry from Divorced Catholic)
- Beyond Divorce/El Divorcio y Más Allá (St. Mary’s Press)
To obtain further information about individual parish support groups, please scroll down to the section titled “Peer to Peer Support Groups”
This weekend program is intended for those suffering the loss of a love relationship as widowed, divorced or separated, who are ready to come to terms with that loss and move forward with their lives.
- Helps grieving persons focus on their experience and emerge from the darkness of grief into the light of a new beginning.
- Offers an opportunity, through God, for turning the pain of loss into a basis for positive growth.
- Founded by a Catholic nun and rooted in the Christian tradition, the ministry’s open, inclusive spirit serves those of all faiths.
For more information or to register for a weekend, please see Beginning Experience San Diego.
Upcoming Weekend Retreat:
– April 28-30, 2023
– October 13-15, 2023
Seeking help is a sign of courage and strength. Don’t wait until the hurt and mistrust have grown beyond control.
Licensed therapists and mental help professionals from our region who understand and respect the religious beliefs and values of their Catholic clients are available.
- Diocesan Therapist Referral Network – Office for Family Life and Spirituality: 858-490-8299
- Christus Institute
- Mental Health Ministry Network
Peer to Peer Support Groups
San Diego Catholic Adult Community
The mission of the San Diego Catholic Adult Community is to provide members with opportunities, through spiritual, social, and service activities, to grow deeper in their relationship with Christ, develop wonderful friendships with fellow Catholics, and come to understand and live out their Catholic faith as active participants in their parish and the CAC community. To learn more about the San Diego Catholic Adult Community, visit their website at sandiegocac.org.