The Church encourages Catholics to exercise their rights and responsibilities as active participants in the American democracy, offering guidance through teaching documents, state voter guides and statements from their local bishops.
The Church does not endorse any candidate. However, the Church does ask Catholics, as faithful citizens, to make their election decisions based on a properly formed conscience, based on Catholic social teaching.
The U.S. bishops caution that their teachings should not be used selectively to serve partisan interests.
In 2020, the Church launched a campaign called “Civilize It,” which asks Catholics to pledge to be civil and compassionate when they engaged in political conversations with members of their families, parishes and other communities.
The next major election will be the 2024 presidential election. Come back later for more updates.
San Diego County Registrar of Voters
Imperial County Registrar of Voters
2022 Election Information
General Election Day is Nov. 8. California mails a ballot to every registered voter a few weeks before the election. Be sure to mail it back or drop it at a designated drop-box before Nov. 8. You can also vote in person. California offers early voting at certain sites.
Online: Oct. 24 by 11:59 p.m., at https://covr.sos.ca.gov/
By mail (postmarked by): Oct. 24
In-person at voting locations on Election Day (Nov. 8)
Every active registered voter will automatically receive a ballot in the mail. Ballots will begin to go out on Oct. 8.
Return ballot by mail (postmarked by): Nov. 8
Return ballot in person: Nov. 8 by 8 p.m.
San Diego Catholic Diocese
U.S. Catholic Conference
- Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship - This statement represents the Catholic Church’s guidance for the faithful in the exercise of their rights and duties as participants in our democracy.
- Formando la Consciencia para ser ciudadanos fieles - Este documento representa la guía de la Iglesia Católica para los fieles al ejercer sus derechos y deberes como participantes en nuestra democracia.
California Catholic Converence
- General election resources from California’s (arch)bishops.
- Faithful citizenship resources.
- Nuestro llamado como ciudadanos católicos.
- The importance of public participation for Catholics.
- La importancia de la participación pública para los católicos.